Telephone Etiquette Tips
We have provided you with some simple tips to help you sound like a professional secretary at work.
• Always answer the phone with the following greeting:
“Good Morning/Afternoon, Company’s name. _______ speaking, how may I help you?”
• If the customer wants to speak to someone in particular, say:
“Yes, just one moment please, I will transfer you”
• If the customer wants to speak to someone who is not available, say:
“I’m sorry, _____ is on the other line at the moment, would you like me to transfer you to his/her voicemail?”
or: “I’m sorry, _____ is in a meeting right now, would you like me to transfer you to his/her voicemail?”
• If the phone has been transferred to you, answer it by saying:
“Good Morning/Afternoon, _____ speaking”
• Do not transfer someone to voicemail without telling them that you are doing so.
• If you have to put someone on hold, always use the “Hold” button. Never put the receiver down when someone is on the line.