If you think that you don't need a cover letter then you are wrong.
A cover letter is a business letter directed to a prospective employer that indicates your interest in employment with an organization. Usually it accompanies your resume, aiming to introduce it. Resumes arriving without a cover letter are rarely read,so think of the resume and the cover letter as a team.
This is very important part of your promotion to the recruiters and future employers. Most of the job agencies are very busy receiving lots of resumes, so you have to find a way to get them hooked. This is why your cover letter has to be a brief resume of your education, top skills and years of experience and will help you grab recruiters attention so they read your Resume.
Cover letters are typically one page documents.
Top 10 Cover letter tips
1. Keep it short and on topic.
2. Emphasize your strengths.
3. State your skills and degree upfront.
4. Personalize it to a specific individual if possible
5. Tailor it to the position you are applying for.
6. Write about your salary expectations.
7. Clearly state that you are available for an interview.
8. State why you are interested to work for them.
9. Include contact information, phone or email and time you can be contacted for an interview.
10. Thank them for their time and express confidence that you will meet.
Here are some examples that you can take a look at before writing your own Cover letter.
The open position notice for an Accountant is an exact match between your job requirements and my qualifications.
My background includes extensive accounting experience.
The enclosed resume highlights my background and achievements:
- Master's degree in Accounting
- Expertise in using automated accounting systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
You may reach me at 905 XXX-XXXX.
Thank you for your time.
I am interested in applying for the position of Manager - Art Direction. My background, as outlined in the enclosed resume includes:
- Master degree in Design.
- Over four years of experience with Adobe PhotoShop, HTML, and Macromedia – Flash, Dreamweaver, Gif Movie Gear.
- Web site creation, content management and updates, maintenance, FTP software.
I possess strong graphic design and project planning skills and ability to handle many different projects at the same time. Excellent communication skills coupled with the ability to perform effectively under pressure while meeting deadlines have contributed to my progress and success.
You can have a look at my portfolio:
I look forward to hearing from you and scheduling an appointment to discuss employment opportunities. You can contact me at (416) XXX-XXXX.